Monday, November 2, 2009

"In Defense of Food"

People choose to eat unhealthy products for a variety of reasons. Of course, it seems, that the most "unhealthy" foods taste the best. The lure of flavor often draws people in. Unhealthy foods also tend to be the cheapest and most easily accessible. When the healthy option is more expensive, or will take longer, the issue of what to eat turns into efficiency in eating time. I also believe that since no food is bad enough to immediately kill a human, many people don't think about long term effect, only the short term. The mind set is now that no matter what the health content is in this food, it will satisfy now and may or may not have consequences to deal with later.
I feel like the government should remain fairly hands off in the healthy foods debate. I do believe that the products need to be labeled with ingredients and health content (calories, saturated fat, etc) but education is not necessary. Obviously though, if a chemical is harmful to humans, like a chemical in water bottles, it should be outlawed and taken off the market. I'm not sure how it is around the world, but in America I think the obsession with food and diet has gone beyond safe or healthy. Each person is different so each person needs to eat differently. The government should not be responsible in monitoring this.

8 comments:

  1. Emma,
    You are a very good and fluid writer. Your opinions are very valid and interesting. Do you find yourself eating foods and thinking about the long term effects or the short term?
    Great job!
    Evan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan,
    your comments are so thorough, I'm inspired!

    Emma,

    Your points brought up information that I never thought about, good argument! I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. marianna,
    I love the feedback you give other people it makes me what to be more of a good person.

    dear emma, you are awesome
    the best food are the most unhealthiest. (is that proper grammar)

    anyways xoxoxo gossip girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the beginning of this. You brought up points and reasons I never really gave much thought to.
    All around, well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma,
    I see your points, but what about monopolies? Food companies, if not regulated could potentially create a food monopoly and dominate the market, making it so you only eat from a select few companies because the bigger companies have bought out the rest. Then we wont have much say so in the variety of foods we eat and weather they are a healthy choices or not, being they will be the only choices. I hope you get what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good point that people may choose foods based only on taste...maybe they are even addicted to the sweeteners? We kind of can't taste the basic sweetness in normal food anymore, I heard, because we've been desensitized.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you wrote basically what i did
    but in way better wording
    this is sad face for me
    :[

    but thumbs up for you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow i agree with you that people do not think of the long term effects and that people really do love taste and efficiency. This was fun read and I loved your point about how people do not think about the long term.

    ReplyDelete